Monday, April 27, 2009

Wedding Banned-Race



Of the six band members, five of them are Caucasian.  The sixth member of the band is Asian American.  By observing Wedding Banned's facebook, myspace, webpage, and by observing them in person-I have determined what I believe to be the race of the band and the audience that the band attracts.  Although, it is difficult to determine race when you don't know the group personally.  Therefore, many of my statements are simply my own observations and/or assumptions.  

I first saw them live in Carbondale at the Copper Dragon.  The Copper Dragon, from what I have observed with my own eyes, is predominantly frequented by Caucasians.  This is likely because of the types of bands that they bring to the area.  By observing pictures, comments, messages, etc on the band's websites and pages, I've come to the conclusion that Wedding Banned's audience is also predominantly made up of Caucasians.  In my Alternative Media in a Diverse Society class, we've learned that different genres of music attract different races of people.  Wedding Banned plays a wide variety of music, but most of the time you will hear some form of Rock and Roll.  This represents the classic wedding cover band.  The band is also extremely entertaining throughout the show as the members do their best to get a good laugh out of the audience.  Comedy often attracts a wide variety of people from different races.  But I'd say "Wedding" comedy is found to be most entertaining by Caucasians.  They also dress in classic wedding attire.  Something I noticed that I thought was odd... when you see weddings on television or in movies, etc., you often see Caucasians.  Which I don't necessarily understand because marriage is obviously for people of all races.

Overall, I wouldn't say that Wedding Banned "targets" a certain race, I simply believe that because of the type of music they play and the show they perform, they predominantly attract Caucasians.

No comments:

Post a Comment