Monday, April 27, 2009

HAIRBANGERS BALL-RACE

The dictionary defines race as a competition among runners, horses, etc., to see which is the fastest in a set of courses, or another definition of race is a group or population so related.  While we aren't talking about runners or horses, we are in fact talking about race.  In analyzing the band Hairbangers Ball, I am going to start my three part analysis with defining and a more in depth review of the race of people that this Band relates to and attracts to their show.  The first step in talking about their "race" is to take a look at the band them-self.  No, I am not going to go into all the details that I did in my first post but look at the band members in terms of race.  All of the members of the band are all of the caucasian descent, as far as I can tell.  They are singing songs from 80's rock bands like Bon Jovi and Poison who are made up of white members.  I think that this in a way reflects in the types of audiences that they attract.  They also have a very specific way of dress, which is in my opinion is a mix of the 80's attire and "whitetrashiness."  That also gives you the feel that the crowd that they attract is like a "drunken white trailer park party."  That is nothing against the band, I am not saying that no other race of people are allowed or wouldn't like the show.  I am not saying that at all because I think that they would, and that is not to say that I haven't seen anyone at one of their show who is from another race.  I feel like that with the type of music that they are performing it just attracts a certain type of crowd, the same as the original bands that they are covering would.  The music and that style of performance is more specific to that type of crowd.  They know who in fact it is that they are attracting that is what makes them popular with their crowd.  The same with a group like 17th floor, their crowd is geared to a specific crowd and that is what makes them successful in what they do.  With bands like 17th Floor for example you go to have a good time and to dance.  With bands like Hairbangers Ball, you go to have a drink and to have a good time while girls are throwing their bras on the stage.  You go to party like they did in the 80's, with the big hair and the crazy nights!  Like I have previously stated,  I don't think that they are only trying to attract those types of crowds but it who that style of music and performance style is more popular with specific groups.  

I would love to hear what you think on this topic.  That is the great thing about doing this as a blog style, because I can hear your comments, and we can in a way discuss it.  Have you ever been to see Hairbangers Ball, and what did you feel the "race" of the audience was?  Do you agree with my comments or not?

1 comment:

  1. I have not seen Hairbangers, but I've had several friends tell me about seeing them. All of these friends were Caucasian, though I wouldn't consider them among the "white trash" group. I agree with you in that particular music styles and characteristics are likely to draw in certain fans, and that that doesn't necessarily mean that it is limited to these people. People always talk about stereotypes being bad - and they can be when they cause people to judge others in a negative light - but they originate in some sort of truth.

    --Susan Russell

    ReplyDelete